Getting rid of old TV sets is tedious work, isn’t it? Everyone who wants to change TV looks for the best solution for how to dispose of old TV sets. Leaving- damaged or old television set with normal trash may lead to health hazards and of course not viable. Old TVs contain harmful parts and chemicals hence need to be safely disposed of. So, Instead of throwing your TV in the trash-it is best to recycle it by sending it to a recycling center or donate it if it still works. In this article, we will discuss three safe methods to dispose of your old TV for free
Here are 4 Best Methods To Get Rid/ Dispose of Old TV for Free
1. Donating Your Old TV to a Needy Family
Donating a TV is surely a noble thought. Something which is of no use for you can make a difference to someone else’s life. Look around to check out if you know someone who needs a similar TV. Here are some of the steps which you need you to initiate if you are planning to donate your old TV:
- Check the Old TV which you want to donate, to ensure it works properly. Check all the buttons, plug and all the features which should be good to go. if you find there are some defects in your TV, refrain donating.
- Ask your relatives and other needy persons in your neighbor if they want TV. It will be easy if you found such a person in your nearby area. They will help you to move it or pick it up from your place. Also, a needy person surely will be excited to have a TV to enjoy for years to come.
- You can also choose to donate TV to a non-profit agency if your old TV works properly. Using the electronics until it works, is always good for the environment. You can check with local nursing homes, organizations, homeless shelters, churches, schools, national agencies, and community centers to see if any of these spots could use the TV. These spots could also have programs for delivering TVs to needy families.
If your TV is not working at all, you can consider the theatre or school which can use your TV as a prop.
2. Encash Your Old TV
There are many online retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and eBay, etc which can offer a good value for your old TV. These online platforms buy back old electronics and offer lucrative deals. You can also consider the marketplaces like eBay, Craigslist, Sell.com, Geebo, LetGo, or Fb Marketplace.to derive the best value of your old TV.
Here are some of the steps which you should follow to fetch the best price for your old TV:
- Advertise it on the various platforms with their pictures and detailed information to avoid excessive inquiries regarding the details of the TV.
- Most of the buyers arrange pick-ups on their own, making it hassle-free for you.
- It is important to check the authenticity of the buyer to avoid any type of scam.
- These platforms are not liable for any default in payments, hence it is important to receive the full payment before handing over the possession of your TV.
- Always compare the bids from different platforms and choose the one which offers good value for your TV.
Let the buyer check the working condition and other plug-ins properly at your place, as he cannot hold you liable for any subsequent issue thereafter. If you have an instruction manual of your TV, handing it over to the buyer will help him to understand its features easily.
3. Recycle Your Old TV to a Recycling Centre
Recycling your old TV is the best way to get rid of your old TV especially when it is not in a working condition. There are many recycling programs in your town and city that offer the drop-off options for many electronic items including old TV.
- They may ask you to drop your TV at a specific spot and give you some time to do it. There are certain recycling centers which offer free pick-up facility as well.
- Refer to the country’s website to extract the information about such recycling programs a explore where to recycle old TV for free.
- There are many retailers and manufacturers who offer the recycling option for old TV with a fee.
- However, few recycling programs prescribe certain conditions to comply with.
- Call the concerned center and inquire about their process and conditions (if any) laid for old TV disposal.
- If you qualify, you can request them to pick-up your TV. Alternatively, you can drop off your old TV to save on the hefty fee charged on account of pick-up or look for the centers which offer free TV recycling.
4. Transporting Your Old TV
Most of the manufacturers, as well as recycling centers, do not offer pick-up facilities, making transportation the hardest part for your old Tv disposal. If you are looking to transport your old TV, you need a big vehicle that can drop it off safely.
- If you have a big vehicle, half of your problem is solved. But if you are owning a sedan, you should look around for friends or relatives who are owning a big vehicle. Borrow it for a day.
- You can also rent a truck if your old TV is very bulky.
- Ask your friends or neighbor to help you in the process of transportation. Once the work is done, enjoy a fun-filled evening with them by sitting in front of your TV and munching on some snacks. This is the best way to return gesture to them for helping you in the process of transportation.
- It is important to stand close to the TV to pick it up effectively. Don’t lift the TV unless you are not confident about handling it properly. Any risk taken may lead to a fatal accident.
- In order to lift heavy items, always bend your knees not waist to void the strain on your back muscles.
- Make a firm grip over the corners of the TV by sliding your fingers beneath. While working in a tram, coordinating is very important. Keep communicating with your partner to make the process easy
- Once you lift the TV, ensure you have all the weight over your legs not on your back. If you feel any strain on your back, put back the TV to release the strain. Try a different posture to pick it up comfortably.
If the above-mentioned options are not working for you, garbage sale is another option to consider to get rid of your old TV, provided you are already planning it on account of other old or unutilized items as well. For a very old model of your TV, keep the price low to accomplish your goal.